• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Trump and the Bill of Rights

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Nationwide
Compare the Bill of Rights listed on whitehouse.gov/1600/constitution with the actual bill of rights.

Trump has added the word "citizens" to several of them even though caselaw does NOT support that and the actual wording of it does not support it. He is letting the American people know where he is going. And NO, I am not making this up. The whitehouse.gov site has also taken away the judicial branch tab. The courts do not matter to him. All the other presidents have had that on their website.

If this does not worry you, then there are issues.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Nationwide
Compare the Bill of Rights listed on whitehouse.gov/1600/constitution with the actual bill of rights.

Trump has added the word "citizens" to several of them even though caselaw does NOT support that and the actual wording of it does not support it. He is letting the American people know where he is going. And NO, I am not making this up. The whitehouse.gov site has also taken away the judicial branch tab. The courts do not matter to him. All the other presidents have had that on their website.

If this does not worry you, then there are issues.

https://www.whitehouse.gov/1600/judicial-branch

It's under the "1600 Penn" tab.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
https://www.whitehouse.gov/1600/judicial-branch

It's under the "1600 Penn" tab.
It was NOT there this morning when I logged in. He has been getting screamed at about it though. Amazing der Fuhrer decided to add it. It was not there this morning or last night. Or any day prior. Wonder if he changed the Bill of Rights to the actual text or is still screaming about it being only for citizens.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Oh look. He is still stating its for citizens:
The First Amendment*provides that Congress make no law respecting an establishment of religion or prohibiting its free exercise. It protects freedom of speech, the press, assembly, and the right to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.
The Second Amendment*gives citizens the right to bear arms.
The Third Amendment*prohibits the government from quartering troops in private homes, a major grievance during the American Revolution.
The Fourth Amendment*protects citizens from unreasonable search and seizure. The government may not conduct any searches without a warrant, and such warrants must be issued by a judge and based on probable cause.
The Fifth Amendment*provides that citizens not be subject to criminal prosecution and punishment without due process. Citizens may not be tried on the same set of facts twice, and are protected from self-incrimination (the right to remain silent). The amendment also establishes the power of eminent domain, ensuring that private property is not seized for public use without just compensation.
The Sixth Amendment*assures the right to a speedy trial by a jury of one's peers, to be informed of the crimes with which they are charged, and to confront the witnesses brought by the government. The amendment also provides the accused the right to compel testimony from witnesses, and to legal representation.
The Seventh Amendment*provides that civil cases also be tried by jury.
The Eighth Amendment*prohibits excessive bail, excessive fines, and cruel and unusual punishments.
The Ninth Amendment*states that the list of rights enumerated in the Constitution is not exhaustive, and that the people retain all rights not enumerated.
The Tenth Amendment*assigns all powers not delegated to the United States, or prohibited to the states, to either the states or to the people.

Stephen1

The information on the White House web-site summarizes and may paraphrase each amendment. Does that make them wrong? That is open to discussion.

For example: the second amendment is described as giving citizens the right to bear arms. That is close to what Wikipedia says which mentions "keep and bear arms". For people who believe that the concept of "a well-regulated militia" is important to reading and understanding this amendment will have issues with either of those other iterations because their beloved phrase has been omitted. Of course there are other people who don't believe that the phrase adds anything to the amendment.

Perhaps the White House should have quoted the amendments, but they didn't.

CTU

Meddlesome Priestess
I'm one of the very few non-citizen immigrants here.

I'm scared.

And no, it's not an over-reaction.

justalayman

The information on the White House web-site summarizes and may paraphrase each amendment. Does that make them wrong? That is open to discussion.

For example: the second amendment is described as giving citizens the right to bear arms. That is close to what Wikipedia says which mentions "keep and bear arms". For people who believe that the concept of "a well-regulated militia" is important to reading and understanding this amendment will have issues with either of those other iterations because their beloved phrase has been omitted. Of course there are other people who don't believe that the phrase adds anything to the amendment.

Perhaps the White House should have quoted the amendments, but they didn't.
The point of ohiogals thread is the word citizen has been inserted in several places. The BOR along with the rest of
The constitution is not limited in effect to only citizens. Given trumps isolationist views, that seemingly innocuous statement to some is truly a harbinger of things to come...bad things.

See, you've fallen into the trap already. You used the term citizen yourself. The second amendment says "the right of the PEOPLE to keep and bare arms, shall not be infringed".

adjusterjack

Trump has added the word "citizens" to several of them even though caselaw does NOT support that and the actual wording of it does not support it. He is letting the American people know where he is going.
What is your point?

So the Bill of Rights refers to "people" and Trump refers to "citizens."

Did you bother to read the rest of the US Constitution which refers to "citizens" in three places (that I found with just a quick look - might be more):

Article 4 Section 2:

The Citizens of each State shall be entitled to all Privileges and Immunities of Citizens in the several States.

Amendment 14:

1. All persons born or naturalized in the United States, and subject to the jurisdiction thereof, are citizens of the United States and of the State wherein they reside.

Amendment 26:

1. The right of citizens of the United States, who are eighteen years of age or older, to vote shall not be denied or abridged by the United States or by any State on account of age.
What, exactly, is your objection to Trump using the word "citizen"?

CTU

Meddlesome Priestess
What is your point?

Did you bother to read the rest of the US Constitution which refers to "citizens" in three places (that I found with just a quick look - might be more):

I'm not a citizen.

Do I not have rights?

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
What is your point?

The constitution was specifically written. I know in some places the Constitution uses the word citizens but NOT in the bill of rights. To restrict due process to only citizens (as Trump believes based on his wording and views) is a detriment to this country and what we stand for -- for one little example.

There are great differences between using the word "citizens" and using the word "people". If you can't see that, it says a lot.

ajkroy

I am also a legal permanent resident. I pay taxes, follow laws, and contribute positively to society. It was my understanding that I am afforded all of the same rights as an American citizen except the right to vote and that I may be deported if I commit a crime.

I am also afraid.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">