• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is private party purchases covered under lemon law

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

charstac

Hello,
My father purchased a car for me on May 20th, 2001 through a private party owner. I live in Massachusetts. The car cost $2900. My father did not know that even though there was a valid inspection sticker on the car that he had to get another put on. Regardless, the car sat in the driveway for a week and a half before I came home and drove it. I drove it on May 29th and it broke down on me. I brought it to a mechanic and the repairs he did cost me over $700. A week later it broke down again, I brought it to a car dealership mechanic and was told that the parts alone that were needed would cost $900 and the labor was 65/hr. He told me that I needed to get a new inspection sticker put on in my name. He then said that if I tried to get an inspection sticker that the car would fail inspection right now. I figured out that if I fixed this car that the estimated repairs would be over 50% of what the purchase price was. When my father bought the car, the only thing that he was told that was wrong with the car was that if had an oil leak and that the radio is not working.
I already spoke to the owner and he agrees to pay only for the latter repair. Is there any hope of me getting the $700 + that I spent on it?

TCB4U2B2B

"LEMON LAW DOES NOT APPLY TO PRIVATE PARTY VEHICLE SALES"

Hello: Charstac

As the header above states, the law does not apply in your case. It's buyer beware.

Your Dad should have had his own personal auto mechanic fully check out the vehicle prior to making that purchase.

Your only means to possibly have any hopes of recovering some or all of the money spent for repairs is in small claims court.

However, even there collecting is assured. Small claims does not enforce payment. You'll have to secure your own means of collecting.

Read other postings on this entire subject for more information.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">