• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

More money owed.....

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

Mikeydreamer

My ex girlfriend currently lives in Wa (soon to be Az). I lent her $3000. She admits to owing it and says she will pay, but there have been no moves by her to do so, and I think shes gonna do a runner with my money when she moves. Any information on proceding would be appreciated as I live in the UK and don't know the US system.

JETX

If this were an interstate issue (across statelines) it would have a lot of problems and would need to be litigated in the defendants location. The fact that this one is international is even more problematic.

Being outside of the US, means you have no standing in any court here. You would have to come to the US to litigate this issue. And even if you hired a local attorney to represent you, you would still need to be here to testify or offer evidence.

When are you planning your next trip to the US and are you going to include AZ in your plans???

M

Mikeydreamer

I have no immediate plans to return to the US, but I could do if need be.

My next question would be this.....how long do I have in which to take action? I mean, I may move to the US if things go my way with another girl.

How much could I expect to get if sued? Should I add interest to make it more worth my while? What if I don't know her Az home address? Sorry to throw all this at ya.

JETX

As usual, there is often another shoe (or two or three) to drop after the first message.

Q1)"How much could I expect to get if sued?"
A1)I assume you mean how much can you sue for. If so, you can sue in Small Claims for your actual losses only.

Q2) Should I add interest to make it more worth my while?
A2) If this were a loan with a contract and interest, you would be able to include the 'pre-judgment' interest. Without any specific interest rate in the agreement, you can't get it. However, your judgment will be awarded post-judgment interest until paid.

Q3) "What if I don't know her Az home address?"
A3) This could be a 'sticky wicket'. You will need her address in order to serve her with notice of the lawsuit. You can get her address from private investigators, reverse phone lists, etc.

M

Mikeydreamer

Thanks.

It's a good job I don't need the money. Persuing it was only a point of principle. And I ain't stupid enough to throw good money after bad. A lesson learned, so they say. There's more than one way to skin a cat.

Thanks for your help.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">