• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

obtaining restraining order/peace order

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

darylej

How much should it cost me to get a lawyer to obtain a restraining order or peace bond against an individual (non-domestic) who has threatened my life and knows my address and threatened to "hunt me down" ?

This person is not related to me and the threats were the result of a VERY minor civil disagreement.

E

ec

You don't actually need a lawyer to obtain a restrining order. The proceedure varies from state to state, city to city, and county to county so you'll need to find out the proper proceedure for filing one in your area but this is something you can do by yourself. Call your local sheriff's department or police stations non-emergency number and ask who you need to call/where you need to go in order to obtain one. Then you'll have to go fill out paper work & petition a judge for the restraining order. Good luck!

e.c.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">