• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Freedom of information... what do I have the right to see?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

E

ec

This really doesn't fit in this catagory but I'm not sure where it does fit, so I apologize if I've posted it in the wrong place.

Incident occurred in Tennessee.

My sibling committed suicide. It's been more than a year & I cannot get the investigating officer (detective) to return my calls. When I go to the station (I do not live in the same state where this occurred so I don't get to go often) they tell me is isn't in and take a message. The only police report I can get them to give me is crap. It doesn't match what the witnesses told me nor does it include *any* sort of details. It doesn't say what the scene looked like, what position her body was found in, nothing, it doesn't even bother to describe what she looked like. I *know* they do more paperwork than that.

So, here's my question. Do I have the right to obtain more information than this? Do I have the right to read the suicide note (I've been told that it's up to the detective who won't return my calls)? What information do I have the right to see? How do I go about obtaining this information when they won't give it to me or return my calls? TIA.

e.c.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">