• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Defected Used Car

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

L

loxias

I live in Lafayette, Indiana.
I've just bought a used car from a dealer in Illinois.
Before I bought the car, the dealer said the air conditioner works well, but I couldn't check it thoroughly because it was cold at the day when I bought it.
But on the way to my home, I found that the air conditioner doesn't work at all. It will cost me about $700.
There is no warranty on the car.
Can I get the repair fee from the dealer?

TCB4U2B2B

IT DOESN'T HURT TO ASK!

Hello Loxias

As the header above states...IT DOESN'T HURT TO ASK!

Since you bought the car in good faith, one would hope the dealership would make good on it's word. Since you failed to mention what type of dealership you bought from, asking does no harm.

What is meant by dealership is:
A new car dealership that sells used vehicles or a street corner dealership that ONLY sells used vehicles. There is a world of differences!

New car dealerships that also sell used vehicles very often attempt to please all vehicle buyers. They are wise to do so too! Keeps the public relations {PR} in good light.

Street corner used vehicles only dealerships often do not care much about PR. If the A/C doesn't work and you want it working, without asking, you'll never know if there is some chance to get it fixed, but don't count on it!

YOU bought the vehicle without any preinspection by your personal mechanic and without any warranty. HUGE ERROR!

Best you can expect from either type of dealership, is a compromise. YOU pay a portion...THEY pay a portion. If not, your out of luck!

Question Answered.
Case Closed.
Courts Adjourned.
Regards and Good Luck.
TCB4U2B2B
At Your Service.
Providing No Real Legal Advice. Administering "Huge Doses of Reality" on Demand or as Required...:D
Personal Quote: "When In Doubt, Consider All Your Options and Allow Common Sense To Prevail."

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">