• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

childs birth name

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

msbays

michigan
my husband and i have been separated for a year. i am expecting a child next month. my husband is not the father of this child and i do not want his name put on the childs birth certificate, nor does the real father. my husband has not been able to be served any kind of papers from the court as he will not let them serve them to him. what do i have to do, or can i do to make sure the birth certificate is correct when the baby is born.

L

LORIAMBER

When the birth certificate hospital staff ask you for the fathers name...tell them who it is. In CA where I am ,the father will be required to sign a declarartion of paternity and the birth certiciate since you are not married to him. What papers were you planning on serving him with??????????

R

rawbinz

When my grandson was born, my son and his girlfriend agreed to give the baby my son's last name. He was required to sign birth certificate after completion. (we live in Calif) BUT, after certificate was signed, her mother talked her into taking off my son's last name and giving child her name. Unbeknownst to us. Child was in school with son's last name for 6 years. Upon seperation and court visits, we soon found out about the name changing and the deception. Court ordered her to change to name back to fathers name, but she has not. Here in California you dont have to put anything in fathers name area. My neice just had baby and did not put anything. She gave the child her name.

M

msbays

in michigan if you are married, the husbands name automatically goes on the birth certificate, because they assume he is the father. all ive been able to find out so far is that i will have to have the final divorce decree with it stating that he is not the father, and when the divorce is final then i can go back and change the childs name and paternity papers so that they are correct. have not been able to serve any child support papers, for the children we do have together, or divorce papers to get things settled with him, or i would have already had this taken care of, looking for suggestions or known ways around this problem so it can all just be settled. if i leave the fathers name blank, it still recieves my husbands last name since im still married to him.

[Edited by msbays on 06-21-2001 at 06:31 PM]

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">