• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

can he do that??

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

shautz

nevada
my other "half" is currently in jail and has been for several years. my question is when he gets out he has this thought in his mind that he can just barge in and take our son out of state. he is serving his time in another state. can he do that just because he is the father? thanks

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

My response:

He sure can !

As long as there are no court orders restricting his visitation with baby, then he or you can take baby anywhere you or he wants - - without permission from the other parent.

If you feel endangered by his "telegraph" of his intentions to you (very nice of him, by the by), then I would suggest that you start custody proceedings, pronto.

Of course, since he's a slimy criminal anyway, laws do not mean very much to him, and court orders mean even less. So, you and baby may as well just disappear into the night.

"Why don't we steal away? / Why don't we steal away, into the night ? "

Good luck to you.

IAAL

S

shautz

reply to liable

Isn't that like kidnapping?? There has to be communication between the parents. From my point of view I would think that because he would be getting out of jail after how long, that the courts would kind of be a little more leary about what he wants, and for what would be best for my son, Running away is out of the question, he's 7 and I can't keep him away from his father. Thank you for your light on this subject.I will be looking into the custody issue asap.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

Re: reply to liable

shautz said:
Isn't that like kidnapping??
My response:

Like kidnapping ?

No. Each parent has an individual right to their own child in the absence of court orders to the contrary.

Please re-read my first paragraph.

IAAL

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">