• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

paternity

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

shadowskye

My husband was formally married and there was a child involved that he has never seen and probably never will she lives in illinois and he lives in phoenix. Paternity is a question here. the marriage was never right he is responsible for child support, she never asked for it but the state does. but how does he prove whether or not he is the father from different states without opening up a can of worms please help thanks

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

shadowskye said:
My husband was formally married and there was a child involved that he has never seen and probably never will she lives in illinois and he lives in phoenix. Paternity is a question here. the marriage was never right he is responsible for child support, she never asked for it but the state does. but how does he prove whether or not he is the father from different states without opening up a can of worms please help thanks
My response:

I have no idea what you mean by "the marriage was never right", but that makes no difference in terms of child support obligations.

If the child is over the age of two, then it's too late to challenge paternity. Your husband is "presumed" to be the father, by law, since your husband has failed to challenge paternity.

Obviously, at some point, she applied for, and received, public assistance. In doing so, she was forced into naming your husband as the father. That way, the State could get reimbursed for the money they paid to her.

The child, whether or not your husband sees the child, is now your husband's financial responsibility until the child is 18 or otherwise emancipated by law.

Good luck.

IAAL

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">