• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

separation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sjayk58

I`ve been separated for over a year. can i sue wife over half of the debt she left me with when she left. i live in DE. And half, if not more was accumulated by her.

G

Grandma B

I think the poster meant could he sue her for half the total debt (as in splitting it down the middle).

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

My response:

Nope. Here's what our writer said :

" . . . sue wife over half of the debt."

And, he further stated :

". . . And half, if not more was accumulated by her."

IAAL

R

REParker819

Figures he comes from the same state as me. It seems like there are more divorces here than marriages, which is sad.

G

Grandma B

My interpretation:

" . . . sue wife over half of the debt she left me with."
(she left him with the WHOLE debt and he wants her to pay half)

". . . And half, if not more was accumulated by her."
(even though she might have accumulated MORE than half, he's willing to split it)

She left him; they're only separated, and I truly doubt she paid half the debt on her way out the door.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

My response:

Lesson for all of us:

The people in Deleware need grammar lessons - badly !

Either that, or they should all become Legislators.

IAAL

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

My response:

But, here's what you said:

"can i sue wife over half of the debt she left me . . ."

Then you should have said "for" instead of "over". It read, to me, that you wanted to sue for an amount "over" half, rather than "for" half.

IAAL

T

thestepmom

sjayk58,
I think you should be able to. I see them do it all the time on court tv.

sjayk58

Hey, i only wantnher to pay half, even though she left me and our 3 kids and hasn`t paid a dime to their cost of living.Ain`t life great!

G

Grandma B

You don't say how long ago she left you and the children. Have you not yet filed for dissolution of the marriage? You need to get a family law attorney, file for dissolution, custody of the children, child support, and a property settlement. The proceedings will settle all the loose ends. Good luck to you and your children. Go get her!!

sjayk58

she left over a year ago. the reason i never filed is because i was hoping for a reconciliation. But as time goes on, it doesn`t appear that will happen. Her involvement with a married man, continues, while i`m stuck with all the finances. The biggest problem is, since i had to eat all of both of our finances, A lawyer`s fees would absolutely sink me. And she knows it! Kinda stuck....???????

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">