• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

surety bonds

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

H

heather jensen

As an independent paralegal in CA I am required as of 1/1/00 to post a $25,000.00 bond. Although I have been in business for 6 years and am considered by the legal community including our superior court to be one of three top paralegals in our community I cannot obtain the bond due to my poor personal credit.(nasty divorce a few years back)Can my current husband obtain the bond for the business? We are after all a community property state and he therefore co-owns the business.

ALawyer

Only the licensing authority can tell you. If you or he posted $25,000 in cash or bonds in lieu of a surety, or if the paralegal firm was a corporation and it got the surety, it may work. But the horrible history of abuse and deception by some paralegals, and the harm they caused, and the inability for their clients to collect for the harm (as para-legals often had no assets and no license to lose), made it sensible to require bonding.

------------------
This is intended as general information only and NOT LEGAL ADVICE. You are not my client, and I have no obligation of any kind to you. To retain a lawyer, go to http://AttorneyPages.com

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">