• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

services paid for but not received

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

P

Pat Jennings

In September I contracted with a company called Internet Success Systems to built a website for me. I paid $2000 cash. The comapny, a subsidary of Success Magazine, has since gone out of business and Success Magazine has changed hands.

When the subsidary went under a second company took over the development of approximatley 400-500 websites that had been paid for but not devloped by ISS. This second company was obviously in over their heads and after doing nothing to develop my site sold the business to a third comapny. This third company's phone is answered only by voice mail and no one ever returns my
calls.

It's looking more and more like I'm not going to get my web site built.

My question is can I sue Success Magazine even though they have new owners? Since ther are 400-500 customers out in the cold is this a candidate for a class-action suit? If so how do I proceed? Can either of the two companies that assumed the business after Internet Success Systems went under be held accountable.

T

Tyrone

This depends on exactly who you contracted with -- and how they "went out of business" (e.g. bankruptcy?, a merger, bulk sale, etc.), and who "took them over", and how, and how the services were marketed and represented.

As you said, a class action might make sense, or if a lawyer wrote on your behalf and demanded repayment suggesting he might otherwise file a class action.... that might do the trick.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">