• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What Type of Patent?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

Jmunn

I would like to start marketing a product, but I'm not sure what type of patent to apply for. The individual pieces already have patents and the product is being used for similar applications so there may be a problem with 'obvious use'. Should I apply for a design patent or utility patent or both?

What do I need to worry about with the original patent holders? Am I allowed to market a similar product with a similar application, but with a different look and not accidentally infringe on someone else's rights?

I apologize for the vagueness, but I still need to maintain a level of secrecy.

ALawyer

You need a detailed patent search and the advice and assistance of a profesional patent attorney (or possibly a patent agent)if you expect to get a patent that will be have a chance of standing up.

------------------
This is intended as general information only and NOT LEGAL ADVICE. You are not my client, and I have no obligation of any kind to you. To retain a lawyer, go to http://AttorneyPages.com

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">