• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Family Law

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

L

LLPatterson

I would like a legal opinion of what is meant by the following sentence: (the more opinions the better)
"The parties covenant and agree that neither Husband nor Wife expects or contemplates Wife becoming employed and based on the manner and standard of living of the parties, the same is not necessary."
I live in California

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

My response:

It's meaningless.

How can you "covenant and agree" to an "expectation" ?

Okay, you "expect" not become an employee. I don't "expect" to be a pauper at any time in my life. But, while Mrs. Liable and I "agree" that we have no "expectation" of becoming paupers, sometimes crap happens !

So, you can covenant and agree to this type of an expectation all day long, and from here to eternity - - but, that's not the same as covenanting and agreeing to, "I will not ever become an employee during the marriage."

I'd like to read the story behing this one ! Sounds like, to me, someone put together their own "pre-nuptual agreement", without an attorney, and blew it BIG TIME.

IAAL

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">