• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

grand-daughters custody

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

G

ggil2000

I live in the state of florida. My granddaughter who is eight has been living with myself and her grandmother for the past year. We do not have legal custody of her. Her mother gave us a notarized letter stating that we would be caring for her daughter until she was able to take care of her. We are responsible for all care, medical, schooling and etc. We have been supplying most of the childs needs since the day she was born. The mother lives in Colorado and the father lives in South Dakota. The father signed over sole custody when the child was 6 months old to the mother. He pays his child support when the system tracks down where he is employed than he will quit his job and we hunt for him again. Now, after we have had her in a secure and safe environment for the past year he wants custody of her. The mother is moving to florida; but will not be taking the child until we know she is able to take care of her.

Do we stand a chance of being granted temporary custody until the mother is back on her feet and able to support her daughter.

LegalBeagle

ggil2000 said:
I live in the state of florida. My granddaughter who is eight has been living with myself and her grandmother for the past year. We do not have legal custody of her. Her mother gave us a notarized letter stating that we would be caring for her daughter until she was able to take care of her. We are responsible for all care, medical, schooling and etc. We have been supplying most of the childs needs since the day she was born. The mother lives in Colorado and the father lives in South Dakota. The father signed over sole custody when the child was 6 months old to the mother. He pays his child support when the system tracks down where he is employed than he will quit his job and we hunt for him again. Now, after we have had her in a secure and safe environment for the past year he wants custody of her. The mother is moving to florida; but will not be taking the child until we know she is able to take care of her.

Do we stand a chance of being granted temporary custody until the mother is back on her feet and able to support her daughter.
Yes, you do have a good chance. In fact you have a good chance of gaining perm custody since both parents are obviously deadbeats. Has he already file for custody? Has he exercised visitation over the last 8 years? How much in arrears is he?

If he has not already filed, then I suggest that either the mother gets her act together or you file first.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">