• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

ex-partner filing small claims case

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

MARYL

My husband became partners(45%) with a man(55%)in a small business about two years ago. When tax time came around this man decided my husband was making to much money and rejected the legal contract between them and stated that my husband was just an employee and shouldn't have made as much money as he did. My husband had complete control over the finances before this time so the man decided that my husband stole the money from him and he was suppose to be making only a base salary. He threatened to put my husband in jail(we are young, and this man has big time clout)unless we paid him a substantial amount of the money back my husband had made for that year. We discussed this with a lawyer who told us we didn't have to pay him the money but he kept threating so we paid (clout, we were scared).
Now this man is suing us in small claims court for bills my husband acquired while working there. This is the first we have heard of this money we own him. No bills, No certified letters, No nothing. We have no idea what this is about(him being vendictive). The court date is in a couple weeks. We are going in blind. What can we do. Any help would be appreciated.

ALawyer

This is very blind, but discuss it with a lawyer in your state and area. The cost of a consultation may be enough to arm you fully.

------------------
This is intended as general information only and NOT LEGAL ADVICE. You are not my client, and I have no obligation of any kind to you. To retain a lawyer, go to http://AttorneyPages.com

I

IndNewsSrv

Well if your hubby was 45% a partner then he would be reposnsible for about 45% of whatever bills. Now if your husband NEVER saw these so-called bills and this is the first he heard of them..then the other guy most likely is just jealous that your husband made more money than him. If its all about jealousy then your husband should owe him nothing and fight to get his money back from him. Also this guy never showed your husband these bills so ask him that you want to see these bills upfront and make sure its not a bill that occured after your husband was already gone. If this guy claimed your husband as an employee then your husabnd can get vindictive and say.."well If I'm an employee you never had workers comp for me" Unless the guy did. I"m just giving you things to throw at this guy to freak him out. It just seems to me that this guy was jealous that your husband made more money than him and he just stole money from you guys to get even.

Cynthia

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">