• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

stepfamilies

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

ms.frost

new hampshire. i want to know what my legal rights as a step-parent are, for example, i know that my step son has been suspended from school on several occasions. when we asked his mother what was going on she refused to give us the answers we were looking for. my husband works long hours making it impossible for him to meet with school officials. am i, as only a stepmother, allowed to go to the school and speak on behalf of my husband without the mother permission?

MySonsMom

ms.frost said:
new hampshire. i want to know what my legal rights as a step-parent are, for example, i know that my step son has been suspended from school on several occasions. when we asked his mother what was going on she refused to give us the answers we were looking for. my husband works long hours making it impossible for him to meet with school officials. am i, as only a stepmother, allowed to go to the school and speak on behalf of my husband without the mother permission?
You could if the Mother does not object to it. But most likely from the way it sounds...She will. She will cause more headache than it's worth if you try that approach. Step parents have no legal rights when it comes to their step children...only what the bio parents allow them to have. My suggestion to you: Have you husband take some time off and deal with the childs school. And if you want to get serious, take the Mother to court to enforce his rights to know what is going on in the childs life. (that is if he has joint legal custody) There are different approches to this, but they all involve your husbands efforts. Do you have an email address for his teacher? That way you can communicate that way?

Ambr

why not send a letter to the school requesting copies of all correspondance, reports, evaluations, grades, etc. to be sent to the dad. they have sample forms on line that you can use. they quote the FERPA(Family Education Rights and Privacy act stating the school has to keep you updated on this information. it also includes all correspondances with the CP.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">