• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Please Help...need advice

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B

beenbusted

State: Florida
Sex: Male
First Offense

I was caught shoplifting a $30 item from a department store. I was detained until an officer showed up. The officer cuffed me while he filled out numerous forms and then gave me a notice to appear in court. I was cuffed (therefore not free to leave) but I was never read my rights. I have a few questions.

1. Was I supposed to be read my rights?
2. If answer to (1) is yes, what action can i take?
3. Either way, what possible punishment do I face?
4. Any advice will be helpful.

Thanks to all who reply.

calatty

The police must read you your rights only if they are going to question you and you are in custody. You were in custody, but it looks like you weren't questioned. If you were, then anything you said cannot be used against you. I don't know the punishment for shoplifting in Florida. It will probably be some form of probation and maybe community service.

H

Haleigh

I'm in the same boat.

The same thing has happened to me the other day. I was caught with $100 worth of merchandise. I was taken to jail because I didn't know my address and they said I was lying. I wasn't, I had just moved in with a friend. They hand cuffed me and shackeld me, took mug shots, finger printed me,embarressed the **** out of me the whole works!!! My rights were not read either,I have been looking and asking everywhere about this miranda law. I guess I must be thinking like you and trying to find a way out of this. This is my 2nd time, the first time which was 3yrs ago I had it esponged. I don't know what will happen this time ,Im really worried. Anyway if this is your 1st time you can probably have it esponged off your record. You will get a fine & do community service and be on unsupervised probation. If your not worried about this being on your record don't fret over this. But if you are you can always have it esponged. I do know that much. If you do find out any info will you please let me know, I would really appreciate it. Ive got a lot to loose if this goes on my record. I have been wooried sick over this! Oh yea if you are a minor(I didnt look At your profile, Im new at this) it will be ok. Just dont be crazy like me and do this a 2nd time, take it from me you always get CAUGHT!! My e-mail address is [email protected] DON"T WORRY everything will be alright.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">