• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

prohibited left turn

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

K

klingers3

michigan:
what are the ways to fight this ticket?

my name was incorrectly spelled on the ticket. can i fight the cop's inability to discern obvious information?

the no left turn was posted for about a month. i however, do not frequent this route. ignorance?

the signs are portable ones. can i fight the proper placement? do the signs have to be before or after the turn (these are after)?

i cannot afford the 3 point (i only have these points)insurance consequences. if i fight this, can i try to appeal to the magistrate' humanity?

racer72

You do not post any reasons for your citation to be dismissed. Spelling errors are not grounds for dismissal. Question #1 of the driving test in each state: Is ignorance of the law an excuse to violate the law? Of course the answer is no. And if the sign is visible from the point you committed the infraction, placement has no bearing.

K

klingers3

question for racer

However, speed limits begin at the point of the sign not when you first see it. If the sign was placed after the street, then (in theory) the turn should be prohibited at the point of the sign.

Are you saying that a cop's incompetence cannot be brought into question?

racer72

You will never prove it. I have watched hundreds try and it never works. Traffic court judges have heard every excuse known to man and then some. They know all the traffic cops on a first name basis and are friends with most. Unless you can show hard evidence and have the proof to back it up, you will not win. An idea to see what you will be up against and you might be able to find a plausible defense. Go sit in on traffic court before your court date. Watch and listen to see who wins and who loses. That will give you the best idea on how to present a defense. Something to watch for, if where you were ticketed is a popular spot for police to nab offenders, someone might show up that received a ticket for the same thing. They might have a defense that gets them off and the same may work for you. I have seen it work before.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">