• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Advantages of marriage?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B

BugHogan

Well my "fiance/common law husband/significant other" are discussing the possibility of "making it legal" so to speak. We've been together for 12 years, we wanted to get to know each other first;) I realize this is very unconventional, but we get along so well and live like a married couple, it just seemed to be unnecessary to do anything more. We have no children together, but he has 3 that I've had a wonderful relationship since we've been together. The kids really, really want us to do it, we think they may feel more secure if I'm his wife, knowing that I'm not going to just "go away". We are all going on a family vacation to Las Vegas over the 4th of July week, we were thinking of doing it then. Any advice, suggestions, etc.? Would it benefit us financially to be married or hurt us? We're definitely not high income, the only reason we can afford this trip is because he works for the airlines:).

LegalBeagle

If you are currently happy, then leave things as they are. Many relationships have been changed the moment the ring is on that finger!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">