• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

The Pill?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

sorethumb

illinois - my 16 year old daughter wants to go on birth control and we (her parents) are trying to tell her to abstain from sex,but she has stated that her girlfriends told her to go to planned parenthood and she could get the pills for $5.00 a month. My question is as a parent do I not have to sign my permission for her to go on birth control and does this organization have the right to give my child a prescription drug without my knowledge? If I spank my child in public I could be investigated by children and family services but because I want to be a parent teaching my child to abstain from sex, they could go around me and get the pill anyway?

LegalBeagle

I do not have time to check on the actual legal side.. but, in this day, any child who actually asks for b/c should be helped and supported. Having sex at 16 is far better than being pregnant at 16.

Your best approach is to support her decision so you can be active in the whole process and continue to educate her. If you do not, she will do it anyway or end up in a worse situation. Once those lines of communication are down, you have lost any chance to influence her life for the best.

MySonsMom

I know that when I was 16, my boyfriend and I went to Planned Parenthood and had a session with a nurse and a counselor about our options. After having a lengthy discussion we opted for me to go on the pill. I did not have to have my parents signature. In fact, we were applauded at the mature way we handled ourselves as a young couple. And looking back, I hope that my children use the same sense as I did. This was in Iowa.

LB is absolutely correct. Having sex at 16 is MUCH more better than being pregant at 16.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

To: MSM

You said:

"If I was I could charge at least $150/hour and live in a big house-"

Let me give you a "Fee Update" . . . $150/hour and a dime, won't buy you a trailer, let alone a house.

The going rate in Southern California is $275.00 to $350.00 per hour, to be billed against an $8,000.00 Retainer Fee.

Good to see you around, kiddo.

IAAL

G

Grandma B

Of course your vote is for abstinence

However, you've already lost the battle with her hormones. She's asking for b.c. pills because she's either planning on or already has had sex. Give up, see that she takes her pill faithfully, and by all means, teach her about SAFE sex.

Ambr

good point grandmab. the pill can help with the odds of not having a child (although nothing is 100%, except no sex), but she also needs to be taught about condoms and the fact that there are worse things to deal with besides babies when you start having sex.

and if she asked about it, she is going to do it. you are lucky that she was responsible enough to get protection and felt secure enough to talk to you about it. i think it is to a point that you just need to talk to her about it. try to press that you would like her to wait, but that if she isn't going to that she needs to protect herself. not just the pill - condoms, each and everytime that she has sex. and if her BF loves her and is smart himself - he will insist on it as well.

[Edited by Ambr on 06-21-2001 at 09:16 AM]

MySonsMom

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE said:
To: MSM

You said:

"If I was I could charge at least $150/hour and live in a big house-"

Let me give you a "Fee Update" . . . $150/hour and a dime, won't buy you a trailer, let alone a house.

The going rate in Southern California is $275.00 to $350.00 per hour, to be billed against an $8,000.00 Retainer Fee.

Good to see you around, kiddo.

IAAL
Oh wow IAAL....YOUR LOADED! ;) Can I come live at YOUR house? (hehehehehe)

MSM

Ambr

MSM i would check and see what services he was requesting first. you might want to do a price hike instead of a discount. hee hee :)

MySonsMom

Ambr said:
MSM i would check and see what services he was requesting first. you might want to do a price hike instead of a discount. hee hee :)
LOL. I'm pretty sure I know what he was talking about. ;) He never does me wrong, so I'm alright. :)

MSM

LegalBeagle

MySonsMom said:
Ambr said:
LOL. I'm pretty sure I know what he was talking about. ;) He never does me wrong, so I'm alright. :)

MSM
You know me too well :)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">