• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Larceny

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

W

wongte00

I'm 25 years old and living in New York City. One day, I went to my bank to close my bank account. I told them that I want official check, but the careless teller gave me cash. They said that if I want cash, I need to wait for a while. So, I accepted cash since the bank that I wanted to open a new account is right across the street. I put my cash ($5,900) in my purse before I left the bank. Then waited on the line in the other bank. When it was almost time for me to go to the teller, I found out that my cash was gone from my purse. I searched all over my purse and it really wasn¡¦t in my purse. So, I reported this to the bank and requested to see their hidden camera¡¦s videotape. They let me see it but the screen is too blurring that I couldn¡¦t see who took my cash. The manager said that they can do nothing about it. They asked me to fill out an incident form and file in their bank, but this can¡¦t help me to get cash back, just for their record. After that, I went to the police station to report this crime. But I have never talked to any detective at that time. The uniform officer just gave me their station number and said that if nobody call me within 2 days, I can call them. Nobody gave me any calls so I call them on the third day and talked to a detective who said is following my case. I told him what happened. And told him what suspicious person is in my mind. But I can¡¦t point very detail that how he looks like because at the time when I was in the bank, I just glanced him once. But he said that this case it hard to get the person. 1. I don¡¦t remember exactly how the person looks like. 2. I can¡¦t see exactly from the videotape that who took my money. But he will try to help me anyways. I asked him to get the videotape from the bank so that I can watch with him and tell him what happened more detail instead of just talking on the phone. But he said he would be on vacation the next 2 days. Then he will follow back my case. I was so shock to hear that. He doesn¡¦t understand that that is my whole life saving at this point.
I don¡¦t know what should I do. If I can¡¦t see who took my cash from the videotape, can I sue the bank for lack of security? Because 1. The bank has only 2 hidden cameras and those cameras can¡¦t see anything in detail. That means useless. 2. When the incident happened, the security guard was not there.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">