• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

identity theft

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

T

toolman

About 5 1/2 yrs. ago I made my mother aware that I had used her ss# to aquire credit cards and ran up 40,000.00 in bills. At the time my mother and I called the credit card companies to make them aware of the situation so that they would only be able to collect the money from me and we were told that the only recourse my mother had to get her name off of these accounts was to press charges against me which she didn't want to do. Ever since I have been trying to pay them off and actually have the debt down to about 12,000.00 but I am now married with two kids and can't seem to find the finances to do it. The cards have long since been in collection and are now being handled by collection attorneys(I am guessing they purchase delinquent accounts that are deemed "uncollectable"). My question is multi-part. Can my mom still file a report that her identity was stolen or have the limitations runout? If she can, would she still be liable for the remaining debt? Also, can anyone besides the credit card companies file charges against me and if they can when would the limitations start/begin for them. Although I realize I have made a mess of both of our credit reports, I don't want to make matters worse by my not paying these collection attorneys and having them go after my mothers bank accounts. They have already put liens against my wife and I's checking account. Thank you for your advice. Toolman in New York

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">