• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Question for IAAL

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ksjane

I recently took my child's bio to court to change childs name, I got married to childs "daddy", (not the bio who hasn't seen or been a part of childs life since birth). The bio's mother became angry and hired own lawyer, anyway the name change was denied because of the fact that the bio appeared to the judge that he wants to be a part of the childs life now (3 years later). Point being...I have residential and sole custody and bio has supervised visitation rights, I was told that we could go to a place that is set up by state (KS) specifically for supervised visitation deals, if the bio decides to pursue these rights. Hasn't so far. I was told that we would have to split the cost of this, is this true?

ksjane

IAAL--
I was also wondering if at some point like 2 or 3 years down the road, am I able to file another motion to change the childs name or is it set in stone because the judge already ruled against it, my husband has every intention of adopting our child, will we just have to wait until that point to change the name, or will we even be able to change the name since we already went to court???Thanks again :0)

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

ksjane said:
I recently took my child's bio to court to change childs name, I got married to childs "daddy", (not the bio who hasn't seen or been a part of childs life since birth). The bio's mother became angry and hired own lawyer, anyway the name change was denied because of the fact that the bio appeared to the judge that he wants to be a part of the childs life now (3 years later). Point being...I have residential and sole custody and bio has supervised visitation rights, I was told that we could go to a place that is set up by state (KS) specifically for supervised visitation deals, if the bio decides to pursue these rights. Hasn't so far. I was told that we would have to split the cost of this, is this true?
My response:

Yes, it's true. Someone has to pay for the supervision and the "neutral ground". And, since it's "in the best interests of the child" to foster a relationship with each of its parents, then the parents pay for this service.

Unless the father is willing to relinquish his paternal rights to your husband, there will never be an adoption or a name change - - especially if "Momma San" is around. It'll be done only over her dead body !

Good luck to you.

IAAL

ksjane

You are exactly right about "momma san" its not "actually" the bio its "momma san". Thanks a bunch IAAL :0)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">