• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

lay-a-way contract

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

P

precious

On November 28, 1998, I put a gold/platinum ring on lay-a-way with a local jeweler. At the time I put the ring on lay-a-way, they were having a big after Christmas sale and the ring was a great buy. When I initially put the ring on lay-a-way, I was given the price of 122.50 ( or somewhere) in that area for a ring that was originally $645.00 (supposedly) On the receipt that I signed the price was 122.50 + tax, but I received a postcard on February 6, 2000 telling me the balance on the lay-a-way was $183.00! As you might imagine, I was mystified over the fact that I have paid $55.00 towards a lay-a-way that was only supposed to be around $125.00. I called the store and spoke to the young lady that assisted me in putting the ring on lay-a-way and she informed me that the manager looked at the lay-a-way and saw tha she should have charged me more for the ring. I explained to the lady that I felt mistreated because after having the ring on lay-a-way for almost 3 months, how could they (without my knowledge) go in a modify the contract without giving me the option to either reject or accept the modification? I spoke with the manager and he told me that they do not check everything put on lay-a-way but I could either accept the modified price or cancel the lay-a-way! I am outraged about the fact that I was the last party to know of the contract/agreement for the ring at one price being modified. Do you think I should pursue it and make them give me the ring at the price stated on my lay-a-way receipt? The ring is beautiful and I haven't seen another like it, do I have any grounds for Specific Performance? Small Claims Court?

T

Tyrone

Complain to the Better Business Bureau.

Carry a Picket sign outside the store saying they cheat customers.

Sue them in Small Claims Court.

But get your facts straight. I thought Christmas was December 25 and the "after Christmas sale" took place in November?

P

precious

You are right, I was rushing in typing the e-mail and should have put, November 26, 1999 because it was an after Thanksgiving Sale!
Sorry! Also, what effect would the BBB have on them? If I took them to small claims court, which jurisdiction would I use, mines or the company's? Would I sue for the amount the amount the ring is valued at $645.00 or for them to give me the ring at the amount on the receipt? Is there a limit on the amount of a lawsuit for Small Claims Court? HELP!!!!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">