• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

I Never Signed The Contract!!!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

musicman

Ok, here's my senario...
I was contacted by a small (one man) label that wanted to release my cd under license. I had recorded a full cd and released it independantly and they wanted to manufacture and re-release it. we worked out all the details of the contract and I (foolishly) sent off a master for then to manufacture from. I didn't have a contract yet as it was in the mail, but being naive and excited about the cd being re-released, I hurriedly sent off a master.

I recieved the contract soon thereafter. There were problems with a few of the agreed details.

1. For "mechanical royalty" we had agreed on 100% of the minimum statutory per selection rate in the form of an advance. the contract stated 75% and an advance of "0" dollars.
2. For royalties based on sales, we had agreed to 6%. The contract stated 5%.

So, I did not sign my contract and asked that the contract be revised to reflect our original agreement. A new contract never came. I never signed the contract i had.
The label goes ahead and manufactures my album from the master I sent. They secured distribution through a small national distro company. You can find this album on CDNOW, Amazon.com as well as many retail stores across the country. One of my singles hit #1 on an internation radio chart.

I NEVER SIGNED MY CONTRACT. I did not give them the right to manufacture and distribute my album. After repeated requests for a revised contract, I was ignored. I have signed nothing.

On top of the fact that I never even signed my contract, I've never recieved a penny in royalties of any kind.

I'm broke. I can't afford a lawyer. Is there any sort of orginization that helps artists in this situation? Is there anything I can do?

musicman

ALawyer

This is actually a type of commercial matter that some lawyers might take on a contingency if the amounts you would have gotten are high enough. And a lawyers letter might get some action and that is cheap!

It sounds as if there was some sort of contract there, and they don't get it for free just because it isn't in writing. Go to attorneypages.com and contact some local lawyers with a consise email, stating you did the #1 record and have not been paid.

------------------
This is intended as general information only and NOT LEGAL ADVICE. You are not my client, and I have no obligation of any kind to you. To retain a lawyer, go to http://AttorneyPages.com

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">