• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Will he be forced to pay for the baby?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

E

Ernie Ball

State of Ohio.
Pertinant information:
My friend was seeing a stripper and she is pregnant. Apparently the child is his.
She has already been to the doctor for examinations.
The baby (a girl) is due in about a month.
She has no medical insurance to pay for the delivery.
She is engaged to be married to another man. I don't know if he plans to adopt the girl or not.
My friend needs to know if he can forfeit his parental rights, or if the mother has to agree in order for him to do so. He cannot afford child support nor does he wish to pay child support, or pay for the delivery of the baby for that matter, including past related doctors bills.
Will he have to make child support payments? Will he have to pay medical bills? He is in jail right now. Can she take him to court over this? Will he lose?

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

My response:

I'll give you two guesses for each of your questions; but, for each of your questions, the first guess doesn't count.

Interpretation : "This doesn't take a Rocket Scientist to figure this out."

IAAL

E

Ernie Ball

Yeah, I thought that was pretty obvious too, but told him I would look into it while he was away.
thanks for answering I really didn't have anyonewhere else to go with this he is only 21 and really having some bad luck lately.

E

Ernie Ball

What are you replying for? That does not help at all! I am seeking advice not snide remarks, which are usually best kept to yourself. Sure, I pretty much knew he was responsible, but I told him I would check it out, just to comfort him since he was leaving for jail the next day. And I made good on that promise.
He might not have much in the way of brains, but at least he has good friends. And I don't think comments like that are appropriate in these kinds of matters. Excuse me, but your predjudice shows.

[Edited by Ernie Ball on 06-23-2001 at 01:05 AM]

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">