• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How can I get off a loan I co-signed on?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

A

AnnieinAZ

About a year and a half ago I co-signed on a truck loan for my ex-boyfriend who I was living with. Just a couple of months after we got the truck we broke up. He knew that he was supposed to get the truck refinanced to get my name off the loan, and he still has not. I have not seen him, nor the truck in over a year. I desperately need a new(er)car and can not get one because of this other truck loan on my credit. I strongly believe he had not gotten it refinanced just because he knows it will basically "hurt me". The police said I can sue him in civil court for 1/2 the sue of the truck or to make him sell the truck and I would get half the proceeds, I am not sure how that would work, because I may have made 1 or 2 payments on the loan but all the other payments he has made and he also made the down payment so I do not have any personal equity in the truck. Please give me any advice you can on a way I can get off this loan. Thank you very much for your help!

A

Attorney_Replogle

I only practice in CA but I will assume that AZ law is the same. Your agreement with your ex-boyfriend (probably oral) probably has a two year statute of limitations. In other words, you have two years from the date of the agreement in which to sue him or forever lose your rights. The oral agreement was for him to refinance the truck. His failure to do so is basically costing you either the total value of the loan of the truck or at least half of it. You need to talk to a business law attorney near you about this. Likely that only a few telephone calls and or a letter will straighten the matter out for you. You can find one near you at attorneypages

------------------
Mark B. Replogle

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">