• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Incorporation of Non-profit re:Liability

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

S. Adel

I've been asked to sign as one of three Incorporators on the incorporation paperwork for a Non-profit organization.

If I sign as an incorporator, yet I am *not* a director, trustee, or board member, etc. of the corporation, am I liable for the business practices of this corporation in any way? Or am I essentially just a 'witness' signature? I'd like to help them, but I don't want to risk having any legal liability.

A

Attorney_Replogle

As an incorporator you are only legally responsible for properly and legally setting up the corporation or non-profit corporation. You in effect have a responsibility to the State and to the owners of the non-profit. You are not responsible for its business practices, ethics, etc., etc.

------------------
Mark B. Replogle

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">