• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How can I get out of a roofing contract?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

Sherry

I signed a proposal from a company on Thursday afternoon. After the fact, I found out they had several compliants on the BBB and after talking with several people they suggested I NOT use the company. I called the company on Friday and asked that the contract be terminated but the owner said he had already ordered a building permit. I'm going to check on this Monday - but I don't think he has. Then Saturday the company delivers shingles. Do I have the right within 72 business hours to terminate the contract. If so, do I just type a letter and deliver to their office???

A

Attorney_Replogle

You have the right to terminate a contract, as you thought. However, not every contract has a 72 hour "cooling off" period. Most don't have any "cooling off" period, yet that doesn't prohibit you from cancelling the contract. You have to read the fine print on the proposal you signed to see how the company & you agreed the contract cancellation procedure is to work. Also, since it is a written contract, definitely send to the company (via letter or fax or email) a written cancellation. Now, you may still be responsible to pay for incidental "damages" such as the delivery and taking away of the tile, etc. Or, the contract may have a pre-determined fee that you will have to pay for cancelling the contract. Lastly, you should also speak to either a general contractor that attends your church or other social group and ask him how this business normally works in your area.

------------------
Mark B. Replogle

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">