• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Refound Theft

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

I

indy

Refund Theft

After talking to a sales person and asking questions on voice activated radios. I purchased them on the 5Th of January. And finding out on the 8th that they didn’t do what I had asked for them to do. I returned the radios to the store on the10th of January.
At which time I was told by the sales person that it was over a $200 purchased and that a check would have to be sent to my home address. I questioned this put did agree, after the sales person circled the amount to be refunded and signed the receipt.
I left the store and waited for my check. On the 15th I received a check in the mail less $20.99 of the amount on the singed receipt. With a note saying that the sales person made a mistake and didn’t charge me a 15% restocking fee also saying it was advertised in the store.

After looking on my receipt I still did not see any mention of a restocking fee. On the 17th of January I talked to the storeowner about the remainder of the money due. He said he explained it in the letter. I asked him to show me the sign about this fee. He pulled out a 4x6-laminated piece of paper from somewhere by the till. With very small print. And I asked him how I could get the rest of my money. He replied that “I can’t help you”.

My Question Is if a receipt is a contract, can he change it after the deal is made? Even if he claims his employee made the error and also didn’t know about the fee?

Thank You
Gordon Taylor

A

Attorney_Replogle

The receipt is not the entire contract, rather it would be read together with any notices in the store as well as store policies. So I don't see that you have any leg to stand on. Further, the mistakes or ignorance of the cashier and or the store manager would not necessarily invalidate the store's policies. Lastly, for $20+, you will easily spend 100 times that (at least) to try to recover it by legal process.

------------------
Mark B. Replogle

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">