• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Requirement of Social Security Numbers

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

A

Anthony

I am a manager of a video rental store,in Indiana, and have been told that there is a federal law that states, "If a person pays less than a third of the value of an item, when renting it, they can be required to give their Social Security Number." Is this true and where can I find it, on the internet? My company is using this to justify their requirement of social security numbers on customers accounts and my store is loosing alot of customers. I need to know, so that I can show proof to my customers. Thanks for any help.

A

Attorney_Replogle

Sorry I can't help you since that sounds like a small bit of legal information that only a tax practicioner or CPA would happen to know. My suggestion is for you to ask for higher headquarters to provide it to you. That way you can show the customers in order to prevent them from leaving. I don't see that it is your responsibility to look this legal tidbit up since the company already has a lawyer that told them this. Why reinvent the wheel?

------------------
Mark B. Replogle

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">