• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What are my rights

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

spage

i am from california, my husband was arrested, served his time and is now on probation. in his probation papers, it states that he is to attend counseling until the end of his probation which is up in May, 2002. in his counseling class they did a surprise drug test. nowhere in his probation papers does it state that he is to have drug tests taken, and he did not give counseling his permission to take a drug test. he has been taking prescription medication, and over-the counter motrin, which caused his drug test to become dirty, (so his probation officer said) and, yes, they new about the meds. the probation officer, along with a female prob office searched my home for any drugs. they found none (of course) they searched though my purse and took things out of it thinking it could have been used for drugs. i can understand searching the house, but not my purse.i couldn't even use the bathroom by myself. my question is, what are my rights? did they have a right to search through my purse since it was my belonging and not my husband's w/out a search warrant? did they have a right to watch me use the bathroom, since i am not the one on probation...where are my rights?

F

FKNA

GO TO A LAWYER IMMEDIATELY...you have yourself a case. There are many lawyers out there that do not charge a consultating fee.

calatty

No, they do not have the right to search your purse. They may only search areas and property you share with him. That would not include a woman's purse. You might be able to sue the county, but unless you were injured or property was destroyed, it would be more trouble than any money you could get, if any.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">