• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

airing my business

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

P

pepsi-jay

We reside in suffolk county, n.y. My 18 year old, 12th grade daughter moved out. For the past two years we have had personal trouble. Her reason moving out, was due to many behavioral issues. At an awards cermony, the presentor gave my daughter a $500 award. He stated "her story would make you cry", and also that she is putting herself thru college alone". More or less, he was indicating that she came from a bad family life. Some parts of his speech were true, however, some were exagerated (I am sure due to my daughter's exageration). Did he have a right to air my personal business on stage at the award ceremony? My family feels we were publicly humiliated. thank you .

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

pepsi-jay said:
We reside in suffolk county, n.y. My 18 year old, 12th grade daughter moved out. For the past two years we have had personal trouble. Her reason moving out, was due to many behavioral issues. At an awards cermony, the presentor gave my daughter a $500 award. He stated "her story would make you cry", and also that she is putting herself thru college alone". More or less, he was indicating that she came from a bad family life. Some parts of his speech were true, however, some were exagerated (I am sure due to my daughter's exageration). Did he have a right to air my personal business on stage at the award ceremony? My family feels we were publicly humiliated. thank you .
My response:

Public humiliation always takes a back seat to her First Amendment Free Speech rights, and her right to her opinion of life as SHE sees her life. She also had a right to have whomever speak her words and views for her. I'm sure you realized that she "ghost wrote" the speech.

How many notable people can you think of who have been embarrassed by their children's views on life ? The Enquirer and Globe magazines are filled each week with such stories. And, look in your neighborhood book store too !

I empathize with your feelings about this matter, but if we take her rights away concerning her views, opinions, and the way she sees her life, then we wind up taking these invaluable rights away from everyone - - including you.

The First Amendment transcends all of us.

IAAL

P.S. You didn't realize you were asking a Constitutional Law question rather than a Family Law question, did you ?

P

pepsi-jay

Answering my question

Thanks for your reply. I apologize- I didn;'t realize this was for family law only. However, you did not asnwer my question. I was not directing it at my daughter, (I was simply explaining why this man may have directed his speech towards my family.) I was asking if the presentor had a right to publicy humiliate my family by telling our private business at a school awards ceremony.

G

Grandma B

Please go back and read the first paragraph of IAAL's response one more time. It's in there!!

P

pepsi-jay

Regardless of what my daugher said on her schlorship application, - the gentleman presenting the award publicly told my personal business, that does not have anything to do with my daughter's freedom of speech! You obviously aren't here to help people - I'm out of here - don't bother answering.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

pepsi-jay said:
". . . the gentleman presenting the award publicly told my personal business, that does not have anything to do with my daughter's freedom of speech!"

Translation : "I want what I want to read, damn it ! Now, tell me what I want ! I know he's wrong ! I can FEEL it !

If I have to suspend the Constitution so I can rip his throat out, I will !"

Obviously, Constitutional Law was not our writer's major in school. Hey, Jay, try the Decaffeinated Pepsi. No jitters.

IAAL

[Edited by I AM ALWAYS LIABLE on 06-25-2001 at 06:39 PM]

G

Grandma B

<sigh> Yup, I think the kid got out of a house from hell, made it on her own, and now the "family" wants to bask in her glory. The nerve of that "gentleman" to tell the true story! Hee hee

LegalBeagle

This is so funny! Complaining about the content and then letting us see one of the reasons her life was obviously hell!

Good Game, good game!

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

My response:

Our writer said:

"For the past two years we have had personal trouble. Her reason moving out, was due to many behavioral issues."

Yeah, the parents' "behavioral issues".

"The next time I see that son of a bitch, I'm gonna shove a copy of Constitution right down his freakin' throat - - but, I'll do it with love and understanding."

IAAL

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">