• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Voluntary Termination of parental rights???

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

K

kryssy1975

I live in Wisconsin, My ex lives in North Carolina. He called and wants to terminate his rights to our six year old son. He wants my husband to adopt him, which my husband does since he has raised Cody since he was a few months old. There has been very little support paid by my ex and even less contact. What is my first step in all this. I can't really afford a lawyer, so can this be done simply.

G

Grandma B

Please use an attorney

Just to make sure all the i's are dotted and the t's crossed. An adoption where all the parties are in agreement won't be terribly expensive and can save you a lot of problems later. The adoption will relieve the bio-father of future obligations toward the child, but won't waive his arrearage.

LegalBeagle

Re: Please use an attorney

Grandma B said:
The adoption will relieve the bio-father of future obligations toward the child, but won't waive his arrearage.
You don't bring this up of course, unless he wants it to be a condition of the adoption. If not, then you proceed with the adoption and when it is final, haul his ass into court for the arrears!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">