• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

legal guardinship

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

K

KTHOUSE

i gave my sister legal guardingship of my 16 yr old son so he could live with her in indiana she needed that to get him in school no he is back home in califorina and school will be starting soon do i have to file legal papers to get back legal guardingship to get him in school and if i dont have the money to do that what can i do to get him in school thank you KTHOUSE

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

My response:

Did you actually go to court to transfer guardianship, or did you give your sister something that amounted to a "permission slip" ?

IAAL

K

KTHOUSE

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE said:
My response:

Did you actually go to court to transfer guardianship, or did you give your sister something that amounted to a "permission slip" ?

IAAL
she paid to have the papers made and filed

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

My response:

Okay, then now, you must file a Petition for Termination of Guardianship. The court will retain jurisdiction, however, until the Guardian's financial ties have been settled; e.g., all child support payments have been made.

If you fail to file the Petition and / or fail to close the Guardian's financial account, and merely let things "slide", if something were to happen to the child, or the account remains open, both you and your sister could be held accountable - - like when you sell a car, all transfer papers must be on file with the DMV - - well, this is basically the same concept, except we're talking about a human.

Good luck.

IAAL

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">