• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

joint bank account woes

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

P

papageno

When I was in college I had a joint bank account with my mother in Michigan in which I had a checking and savings. I was the main user of the account, but my bank statements went to mom instead of me. Mom would deposit money in the account directly if I needed any. My savings included large gifts from my grandparents, birthday $, etc. and some money from my parents "for my education" (which I never touched). After college, I decided to get married and go to grad school (mom disapproved of both my wife and my school) and foolishly left the money in the joint account. Shortly before I got engaged, Mom emptied my savings account without my knowledge, to prevent me from "making a big mistake." When I discovered this, I quickly took the rest of my assets out of her reach. I got married anyhow, and I'm very happy. I am working through the attendant psychological problems with my relationship with mom. However...

My question is this: do I have any legal way to claim the money ($45,000) she stole from me, or am I out of luck? The bank officer indicated the latter, but I figured I'd ask you all anyway. Thanks.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">