• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Leaving Home

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

F

fishwmich

i have a friend that lives in arkansas and wants to move to texas. she has graduated from high school, is 17, and wants to begin college in the spring of 2002. however, her parents want her to remain in arkansas. at what age can she leave home without their consent?

G

Grandma B

She's going to finance her college education without her parents' help? I wish her well!

Is there a reason she can't wait until 2002 to leave since that's when she plans to enter college? I figure if she's 17 now, she'll be 18 in 2002 and can go wherever, whenever, and with whomever she wants.

F

fishwmich

she will be 18 in september, but her home situation is not a healthy environment. there is a history of abuse from her stepfather which causes her some mental anguish, and is the main reason for her wanting to escape. she does not wish to press charges against him or cause any trouble for her family. she would rather leave quietly, but is wondering what steps to take if they try to make her stay.

G

Grandma B

No bio dad in the picture to intervene?

Seventeen is young to be on one's own in this sometimes wicked world, but if she's hell bent and if the added statement re abuse is true, tell the stepdad, "I'm leaving now or you're going to jail"!

F

fishwmich

bio pop may as well have been a sperm donor. allegations are true, and have been brought up in the past, but later dropped for fear of the consequences. it appears as though the situation has gone from 'extremely urgent' to 'last resort'... parents seem to be okay with her leaving for now. but we'll see what happens... if things get any worse we may opt to use the abuse as leverage. thanks for your help.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">