• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

eligibility for private school

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

Josee Rousseau

Hi , we reside in Tampa , Fl. We are not US citizens. My husband was hired by a local compagny (with 15 other Canadiens) abotu 3 1/2 years ago. We 've had our T.N. (and TD for my daughters and I) for the first year . Now we have our H4 (and my husband H1B) we've decided to send my 4 years old daughter to private school . We had enrolled her in march 2001 (payed part tuition, registration fee, and bought her uniform) today that school calls me at home to tell me my daughter cannot attend thier school , because she is not a US citizen , and does not have her green card !!! They new our citizenship back in march , they never said anything , they say if we want our daughter to attend private school in Tampa , Fl , the school itself will need to fill out a I 20 form (to enable them to get a student visa for my daughter) WHO IS 4 !!
And since this school does not hold any I 20 forms , they just disregard my daughters application. They called the INS , who in turn , I presume must of scared thier pants off , because they say they will not bring "down" the school because of us. The principle went as far as stating , why it is taking so long for my husbands compagny to get us our green cards !!
My question is ........... My other daughter 7 years old has been attending public school here for 2 years , starting on her third in august in grade 2. But then I was told public and private are different laws. And my oldest daughter ( being a disabled child in a wheelchair) couldn't attend private if we wanted her to anyways) doesn't need this I 20 form to Attend public school.
Can the law keep my daughter (4 years old) from getting a private education , if we chose she would benefit more from it ?????
Here is where I am at ,,,,,,,, I have to start looking at other private schools ???? but I also supposedly have to ask them if they do the I 20 forms for any students ??? if not she cannot go to that school ! My problem is , here school starts aug 8th , and so far 2 schools I have called kindergarden classes are full !!

hopefully my message isn't too mixed up , I'm trying to write what I would explain , thank you for any help in this matter

Josie

D

dorenephilpot

I would try to consult an attorney with knowledge in immigration/citizenship issues....

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">