• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

tax deduction

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

R

Robert_76

tax deduction - dependentes

yes I would Like to know i have a five year old son and he lives with his mom she is going to get married and i would like to if he can claim my son on his tax return if my son resided with his mom we where never married and my son has my last naeme. she is going to be quiting her job really soon to have there kid and i was wondering if in the state of washington that i could claim my son and not him thank you for your help and your time robert

C

craftymom

There are two ways that an NCP can claim a child's exemption (deduction):

1) via court order (and I'm not sure if this would apply to you since you were never married)

2) have mom sign a form 8332 "Release of claim of exemption" (which would give you the right to claim for the year she signs it, or for all future years if she's kind enough to sign the right over to you permanently)

Otherwise, her future husband will have the right to claim the child, whether she works or not.

[Edited by craftymom on 06-26-2001 at 09:03 AM]

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">