• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

homeowner and building contractor

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

Jan

Had extensive water damage to my home from storm.
Hired contractor who continued to elude signing of a contract.
One summer day had 6 workers just walked in the door and start working.
Am a female homeowner and contractor started to intimidate.
Heres the scary part, they made a worse mess out of my house.
Obviously ended business relationship with contractor. but had given him 5,000.00 for material money.
City houseing inspector filled out inspection form for Attorney Generals office and filed complaint for sub-standard workmanship and not pulling permits.
Now 7 months later received letter from Contractor that he is placing a lien on my home (in 10 days if he doesn’t here from me) because I filled a complaint with the Mi Attorney Generals Office.
Loosing too much sleep over situation. Would appreciate any advice or suggestions given.
Does he have a time limit after project to sue me?
Any ideas about recovering the $5,000. that wouldn’t cost me more.

A

Attorney_Replogle

The contractor is placing (or threatening to place) a lien on your home for your proper use of your legal right. That legal right is to complain to proper authorities for illegal and or unethical treatment/work. So his action via the lien is illegal. You can probably have it promptly removed and possibly have the money paid back to by engaging a real estate attorney to write a letter and make a few telephone calls. You can find one near you at attorneypages

------------------
Mark B. Replogle

J

Jan

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Jan:
Had extensive water damage to my home from storm.
Hired contractor who continued to elude signing of a contract.
One summer day had 6 workers just walked in the door and start working.
Am a female homeowner and contractor started to intimidate.
Heres the scary part, they made a worse mess out of my house.
Obviously ended business relationship with contractor. but had given him 5,000.00 for material money.
City houseing inspector filled out inspection form for Attorney Generals office and filed complaint for sub-standard workmanship and not pulling permits.
Now 7 months later received letter from Contractor that he is placing a lien on my home (in 10 days if he doesn’t here from me) because I filled a complaint with the Mi Attorney Generals Office.
Loosing too much sleep over situation. Would appreciate any advice or suggestions given.
Does he have a time limit after project to sue me?
Any ideas about recovering the $5,000. that wouldn’t cost me more.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">