• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Should my lawyer have gotten paid?????

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

E

ednbren

I am from Hawaii and my ? is should my lawyer have gotten paid all of his attorney's fees even though my case was appealled and open? I received my perm. partial disability already but my disfigurement was appealled. And my lawyer told me he needed to get his fees paid in total. this was before I got the appeal letter I only paid him 1/2 of his fees (which he was very upset about it)and later found out he got paid more then the other half due to him by my co. which he never told me so now he has gotten his overpayment in lawyers fees and I am still waitting on my disfigurement appeal. And if the amount i was awarded changes does he still get the whole fee he was awarded by the dept. of labor??? I am so confused and angered that I am still waitting 2 yrs. after my accident and the new hearing isn't for another 4-5 more mos. Can anyone help answer my ?? I would really appreciate any help and advice. Thankyou in advance. E. Mitchell

N

NYSLaw

NYSLaw

HRS Chapter 386

HAWAI'I WORKERS' COMPENSATION LAW
as of July 2000

§386-94 Attorneys, physicians, other health care providers, and other fees. Claims for services shall not be valid unless approved by the director or, if an appeal is had, by the appellate board or court deciding the appeal. Any claim so approved shall be a lien upon the compensation in the manner and to the extent fixed by the director, the appellate board, or the court.

Any person who receives any fee, other consideration, or gratuity on account of services so rendered, without approval, in conformity with the preceding paragraph, shall be fined by the director not more than $10,000. [L 1963, c 116, pt of §1; Supp, §97-103; HRS §386-94; am L 1985, c 296, §6; am L 1988, c 37, §2; am L 1993, c 301, §1]
Go to this link and search the Labor Laws.

http://dakine.uhwo.hawaii.edu/clear/default.html

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">