• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is a contract binding when only one party has signed it?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

Joy Bulloch

I signed a contract that included a personal guarantee. I made a change on the orginal contract. The other party said they would resend me another contract to fill out. I never recieved another contract.. I think they forgot to send it. The other party never signed the contract.. but now they are tring to make me liable to the orginal contract. What are my defenses?

L

Larry the Lawyer

There is a difference if the contract involves a personal matter or a business matter.

One possible defense is your change in the contract was a counteroffer. They rejected it. There is no written contract. (If it comes time to go to court I'll bet they deny rejecting it and they will say they signed your counter offer and sent you the signed copy.)

The issue is now was a written contract necessary, and if not, what was agreed to..

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">