• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Internet startup Sole Proprietorship or Corporation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

Stacey

I am thinking of starting a retail business on the internet. Either selling mechandise through ebay or through my own web site. How risky is it to sell merchandise as a sole proprietorship? If I am just starting out, is it worth incorporating right away. I would like to be able to switch gears on products if necessary. I don't want to be locked into a specific business description in a corporation.

ALawyer

Read the sections on FreeAdvice.com about business -- it has the answers.

------------------
This is intended as general information only and NOT LEGAL ADVICE. You are not my client, and I have no obligation of any kind to you. To retain a lawyer, go to http://AttorneyPages.com

ricdett

Should I switch from a Sole Proprietorship to a LLC?

I have a similar situation but could not find where ALawyer suggested
"Read the sections on FreeAdvice.com about business -- it has the answers."

I am trying to determine if I should switch from a Sole Proprietorship to a LLC

I resell small electrical appliances through an online store
I purchase them from a distributor in the US and they are manufactured in Asia
I stock and ship some and I some I have drop shipped
I am the only owner and worker in my business.
I have product liability insurance for $500,000 and a $1,000,000 personal liability policy
Is my liability from an injured customer the same whether I am a LLC or a Sole Proprietorship?

Last year my Sole Proprietorship made a taxable profit $75,000 and I paid @ 15% for the SP Tax or @ $10,000
Could I have paid less tax if I were a LLC or other kind of Corporation?

How much higher are fees and taxes and cost to prepare the reports for the fees and taxes for LLC vs. a Sole Proprietorship?

Thanks
Ric

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">