• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Insurance is killing me!!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Jeter

NY..Last year I got a ticket for an illegal left turn and my insurance was expired by one day, so I got a ticket also for driving w/out insurance . My license was suspended and I had to go to criminal court and pay a lot of money to be cleared and have my license re-instated.

The matter was settled in march. I was issued a restricted use license so I can drive to and from work and daycare for my son. I got new insurance. My registration was always current, however it has come time to renew and when I went to DMV to renew my registration, I found out that they will not allow me to register a car under my name until next January! Now the insurance company's underwriting dept is trying to question me about the registration and may cancel my policy, putting me in the same boat I was in before! I can't even sell my car to a family member so they can register it because I am still making payments on the car. I was told it cannot be sold until it is paid off. I don't have a couple thousand to just pay it off so it can be registered. I don't understand why they would issue me a license and allow me to get insurance but I can't register! What the heck can I do?

Jeter

mommy569

NY is a pain in the behind. You either have to keep the car off the road for the same amount of days that it was uninsured, or your other option is paying $8.00 a day, it adds up quick. We just went through something similar. Car was in my husbands name got impouded for no insurance so I went to dmv to register it. I got insurance, went there and the woman says sign the title, so I did. Then she says oops you can't register it. Well the next day I came back to PA (we moved recently) with my title and registered the car, no problems. Thank God. I know this info does not help sorry

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">