• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Auto Purchase

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

danpep

I'm not sure this is the correct board for this question, but I'll try here. In the summer of 1999, I purchased a used auto from a local dealer. It was a 1997 Eddie Bauer Expedition. Of all the vehicles in my price range, this one seemed to be in the best shape. While negociating with the dealer, I asked if the car had ever been wrecked or had any major repairs done on it. Of course, the dealer said no. I went a step further and did a title search on the vehicle, which came up clean. So, I bought the car. After initially getting the car home, I noticed a couple of over-spray spots, but didn't think too much about it, assuming it was just touched-up or something minor. As time went on, I starting noticing more and more things that just didn't seem 'right' about the car, leading me to believe that it had been wrecked and repaired. Finally, this last week, I took the car in to a different local dealer to have a small dent repaired. When they went to look up the paint codes, the tag that is typically on the inside of the door was missing. They informed me that the door must have been replaced, probably from accident damage. This just confirmed my suspicions.

My question is, do I have any recourse against this dealer for being dishonest about the cars history? The selling price did not reflect the price of a repaired car.
Also, the company I used for the title search states that they offer a guarantee on the information they provide. Should I contact them?

Thanks for any help.

[This message has been edited by danpep (edited March 09, 2000).]

ALawyer

I'll bet you did not get the dealer to warrant the "no accidents" in writing.

Also, to ollect from the inspection firm you'd have to prove they were wrong, not that the car has a new door (that could have happened it was damaged on the van from the factory).

------------------
This is intended as general information only and NOT LEGAL ADVICE. You are not my client, and I have no obligation of any kind to you. To retain a lawyer, go to http://AttorneyPages.com

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">