• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

telephone call recording

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

MrMoose

My wife calls her daughters in northern ireland. We live in minnesota. the father has started taping calls, and has not informed either the girls or my wife. we found out because he tried to use it as evidence in court--the court listened to the tape and then said he shouldn't have done this!!! Is this illegal (the taping, that is)? what recourse do we have?

LegalBeagle

MrMoose said:
My wife calls her daughters in northern ireland. We live in minnesota. the father has started taping calls, and has not informed either the girls or my wife. we found out because he tried to use it as evidence in court--the court listened to the tape and then said he shouldn't have done this!!! Is this illegal (the taping, that is)? what recourse do we have?
Unlawful recordings, or disclosure of their contents if there is knowledge or reason to know of the illegal acquisition, carry maximum penalties of imprisonment for five years and fines of $20,000. In addition, civil liability for violations statutorily can include three times the amount of actual damages, as well as punitive damages, litigation costs and attorney fees. Minn. Stat. § 626A.13 (1999).

Since the father was not 'Party' to the conversation, then they recording was illegal.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">