• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Wrongful Telephone charges

• Thread starter Fed up Customer
  • Start date

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

F

Fed up Customer

I recently monved in and requested long distance telephone service from company A.
After few days when my service stopped I calld up and discovered that a company B had switched me over - without my knowledge. I promptly called company A and got myself switched back with them. Now I have received telephone bill from company B with exorbitant
per minute call charges (many times over than my calling plan does). What recourse do I have ?

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Fed up Customer:
I recently monved in and requested long distance telephone service from company A.
After few days when my service stopped I calld up and discovered that a company B had switched me over - without my knowledge. I promptly called company A and got myself switched back with them. Now I have received telephone bill from company B with exorbitant
per minute call charges (many times over than my calling plan does). What recourse do I have ?
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

My response:

WHAT TO DO IF YOU'VE BEEN SLAMMED

Customers who have been slammed are entitled to be switched back to their original long distance carrier without charge and are not responsible for any call costs higher than those which would be charged by their original company. Customers who feel they have been switched to another company without their valid consent and are having difficulty correcting the situation should call the toll-free PSC HELPLINE at 1-800-342-3377 from 8:30 a.m. to 4 p.m., Monday through Friday.

If you experience telephone slamming, follow these steps:

Call your local telephone company. Tell them that you did not order service from the new long distance company, that you would like to be reconnected to your long distance company, and that you want any "change charges" (the charge for switching companies) taken off your telephone bill. Call the company that slammed you and let them know that you will only pay the charges your preferred carrier would have imposed. If this carrier will not drop any additional charges, contact the FCC.

Next, call the long distance company you were switched from and report that you were switched without your permission. Ask to be reconnected. You should not be charged for this reconnection.

If you are unable to resolve your complaint with the company that switched your service, you can file a complaint with the FCC.

HOW TO FILE A COMPLAINT WITH THE FCC

There is no special form to fill out to file a complaint with the FCC. Simply send a letter, in your own words, to the address below. Your complaint letter should include:

Your name and address, the telephone number that was "slammed," and a telephone number where you can be reached during the business day.
The names of your local and long distance telephone companies and the long distance company to which you were changed without your knowledge or permission.
The names and telephone numbers of the telephone company employees that you spoke with in an effort to resolve your complaint and the dates you spoke with them.
Any other information that you feel would help the FCC to handle your complaint.
Copies of any documents you have received, such as a bill for changing to the unauthorized long distance company, a contest entry blank, or a check.
Send your complaint to:

Federal Communications Commission
Common Carrier Bureau
Enforcement Division
Informal Complaints and Public Inquiries Branch
Mail Stop Code 1600A2
2025 M St., NW
Washington, DC 20554

------------------
By reading the “Response” to your question or comment, you agree that: The opinions expressed herein by "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE" are designed to provide educational information only and are not intended to, nor do they, offer legal advice. Opinions expressed to you in this site are not intended to, nor does it, create an attorney-client relationship, nor does it constitute legal advice to any person reviewing such information. No electronic communication with "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE," on its own, will generate an attorney-client relationship, nor will it be considered an attorney-client privileged communication. You further agree that you will obtain your own attorney's advice and counsel for your questions responded to herein by "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE."

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">