• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

A doozy of a suspended license question...help!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

dpvance1

This occurred in the state of Missouri:

18 months ago I was pulled over for speeding and naturally, was given a speeding ticket. When the officer asked for proof of insurance, I realized that I had let my insurance lapse, so the officer also gave me a "no insurance" ticket. He then took my MO. driver's license and said I would get my license back when I appeared in court. My court date was scheduled for a time when I was out of town, so I did not appear and because I was both stupid and broke, I did not hire a lawyer...

Fast forward to today: I still have my car, but my registration has expired, I obviously have no insurance, and the police still have my license. I have never received a notice that my license is suspended, but I am assuming that it is, so I don't drive. However, I am going to need a license in the future, so I want to take care of this.

I know the advice everyone will give me is to hire a lawyer, but because I do not have much money (I just graduated from college and have yet to get a job) I want to make sure that I know what I am dealing with here.

1.) Am I going to have to pay hefty fines (more than $1000) for not having insurance, registration, and a license for so long?

2.) Even though I never received a notice of suspension, is my license suspended and will it be suspended further once I take care of this problem?

3.) Have you guys ever read a suspended license post that was this long? =) THANKS FOR ANY ADVICE!! I really appreciate the help!

DV

B

boogie

I think your first concern should be that there is probably a warrant out for your arrest since you didn't appear in court!!!

I could be wrong, but if i were you, I'd check that out right away before you get in any more trouble.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">