• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

20 yr old's rights against parents

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

smithterra

i am 20 yrs old. i live in tennessee. i have been in college for 1 1/2 yrs until my parents came one day a took everything from my apartment and made me move back home. now they say i must stay here and i cant go back to college. i am verbally and mentally abused badly. i want to know my rights on moving out. my father claims he will call the police if i try to move any of my things out of the house. can he do that??

G

Grandma B

You're 20 years old, and can move wherever you want; however, you cannot take things that belong to your parents. You can even go back to school, if you want to pay for it yourself.

Something must have precipitated their taking you out of school. Poor grades? Excessive partying?

S

smithterra

Im talking about taking personal items like my clothing,etc. things that belong to me.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">